Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Life With Kids Series: Halloween 2014

As the child of immigrants, I have been making my own costume since day 1. While the folks embraced Halloween, they never embraced the concept of spending their hard earned money on a silly outfit for just one day (unless of course you count my big fat Indian wedding day, in which case, yes, they spent a lot of money there, not that I'm complaining).

I grew to love making Halloween costumes and still do when I get a chance (rarely). This year, the stars aligned and my son asked to be a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. Since he asked me while wearing his green Om home jammies, this one was a no brainer!

Om home DIY Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Costume


Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle 
DIY Instructions
Take one Om home Jasper pajama in green

The Top
  Cut an oval to fit on top of the pajama with yellow fabric

Sew three sides of the yellow fabric onto a fabric backing and fill it with stuffing

Sew the stuffed yellow fabric onto the green top, making sure to include both horizontal and vertical lines across the center

 Cute!

The Stripes
Using orange fabric, cut 3 3" strips and 2 5" strips, about 10" long 
(depending on the size of your child)

I folded each piece and used hem tape to iron it together

The Mask
Cut out the template with both felt and orange fabric.
Spray the orange fabric onto the felt
Sew the straps from the previous step onto each side of the mask
You can find the mask template here 


Cowabunga!

For full instructions, I recommend visiting this wonderful DIY tutorial with a thorough set of instructions. You can find the mask template here. Happy Halloween!

No comments: